Dec. 10

We drew faces this week. I was very glad that I had spent a good deal of time practicing eyes and the skull. Understanding that structure allowed me to build the face on the page more confidently. Being physically closer to the model was a significant help. I think that one reason my figure drawings have been looking a little flat and outlined is because I just can't see the body well enough to really understand what's going on. I really enjoyed the portraits.
Hands were interesting too. I remember Amy mentioning a while ago how thick the hand is, and that it shouldn't look pancaked. A friend of mine recently lost four fingers off his hand in a farming accident, and it is amazing how thick the palm is behind where his fingers were. Understanding that really helped with my hand drawings.