Dec. 20
Final Post.
This semester in life drawing I learned a lot about the structure of the human form, and how to see that structure. Rather than only seeing how a body occupies space, we learned to understand how that body is built, and how to demonstrate that in our drawings. This course helped me become a better drawer because it forced me to understand the forms that I draw, not just their silhouettes and value. The skull was where this understanding really came together for me. As I mentioned in the post that week, being close to the subject was a big help, and I think that's where a lot of the success I had drawing the skull came from. Pushing the line weight was a big thing for me this semester as well. It makes the drawing so much more interesting and allows you to control the language precisely. Even when I draw pots that I want to throw now, I think about building it on the page, instead of drawing the silhouette I want. My sketchbook looks a lot better as a result, and I think it's even helped with the pots themselves. I have started thinking about the structure of the clay and how that wears skin and what the layers look like under that skin. It helps me appreciate that on pots I use daily as well. My understanding of proportions is still very limited, and I'd love to keep studying that, but at least now I can understand what I'm looking at when I do.